• Difficult to answer universally. Here in the USA, we have a hybrid economy where some industries are controlled by the government, some industries are heavily regulated tot he point where they are effectively controlled by the government, other industries are moderately regulated, and some industries are hardly regulated at all. The philosophical justification for taxation is that the government provides some services, which cost money, so someone has to pay for them. In a hybrid economy with certain industries intended to subsidize other industries, there is no simple answer to that. As a thought experiment, though, we could redesign the tax code from the ground up. In that case, I believe the less necessary an industry is for the nation, the higher it could be taxed, so things like mining raw materials should have a low tax rate and things like manufacturing goods that are used for infrastructure should perhaps be untaxed. Manufacture of luxury goods could then be taxed at a higher rate and some of those tax dollars would go toward subsidizing more essential industries. Or we could go one step further back and choose a different economic system, such as pure socialism or pure industrial anarchy and tax nothing, since, in a socialist model all industries are owned by the government and in a pure industrial anarchy, corporations are completely unregulated by any government activities, thus receiving no services. We actually have seen examples in history of both cases.
  • At least the same as people pay. 15% sounds good to me.
      So you're going to cut them a break? BTW the average individual income tax rate is around 25%, so is the corporate rate. In the U.S. that is.
    • WHF, What's His Face
      You are right, good catch on me for that. And yes, a 29% tax on them would be good I think.