• This is a trick question. The age in which a person can choose where to live in Colorado is 18. However, that person is no longer a child at that point.
  • A Child's Choice: What Is The Right Age For A Child To Choose Which Parent To Live With? The child can demand Joint Custody of them, and not the other way around. They can be told that the children need to remain in the home and each parent can live there for three weeks, than switch. Once a week the parent not in residence takes the children out to dinner. While in the home, the parent does not date or have overnight guests, other than relatives. On the off weeks, the parent rents a room, stays with relatives or friends, or they can split the cost of a one bedroom apartment that they share. The priority here is the children not having their lives disrupted by the choices of the parents. The parents' lives are equally disrupted and they split the cost of being in the home. If child support is ordered, both parents can pay into a trust fund that pays out to cover the children’s expenses. Anything over and above those expenses remains there to collect interest and goes toward a college education. When the children are grown, and completely out of the home, than the property can be sold or whatever the parents want to do with it. This is called Bird Nest Custody. The children remain in the nest and the bird take turns being there.
  • Although the "bird's Nest" Custody way HAS been used ; it is NOT very common and can cause way too many situations and problems .... If you are 14 or older ; you can get an attorney to file a petition for you to live with the parent of your choice ... there will be no charge to you IF you go thru Social Services .. A hearing will be held to determine IF you actually have "grounds" to leave the current home and live with the other parent .... In some cases; the court will go ahead and issue the order with very little questioning .... BUT; If the current custodial parent objects ; then there is a Home investigation and a social services report given to the judge at the hearing ... Like you can't want to change parents because one won't allow your girlfriend to stay overnight ,, ior because you one parent won't allow you to skip school etc ... you need to have a LEGITIMATE reason .
  • Children don't get to choose which parent to live with. The court may ask if they have a preference. Generally the court will give some weight to a child's preference after the age of 12.

Copyright 2023, Wired Ivy, LLC

Answerbag | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy