• It happens more than once.
  • It's the best way to get fat and have a heart attack. : )
  • People who have low self-esteem often participate in unhealthy activities. Counseling can help, but only if you're ready to be helped.
  • I don't have time to think. There is just so much food needs eating.
  • It is the best way to get fat.
  • Does anybody feel that this is a real disorder that is beyond the persons control? Or maybe just a convenient excuse for those lacking discipline? I think I fall somewhere in the middle and believe that some people have more or less of a drive to eat than others.
    • Mr PantsFellDown
      I read a book called 'Flow" which in many complicated pages said essentially that when you're busy creatively, you are in a state of "flow", and you will know you're in this state because sleep will become less necessary and you'll forget to eat. ...Perhaps then, when people are NOT engaged in constructive living end-to-end throughout their day(s), they eat out of boredom or to fill an emptiness they perceive in themselves, which may not be hunger for food at all. This is whgy I tell people: go to the library or book store, see which books attract you, this will reveal where your true interests lie (even the ones youve been forbidding yourself to pursue). Then: pursue them! (I know you said you dont necessarily need this particular advice, but just to discus the subject at hand..)
    • Mr PantsFellDown
      So, no, I don't think overeating compulsively is a disorder. Bipolar Disorder is a disorder. Obsessive Compulsive Disorder is. Or schizophrenia. Voting republican. Oh wait, no, that last one is just a crime against ones fellow humanity, not a mental disorder. Well, still.. those people should be medicated anyway!! HA!!
    • AskingForaFriend
      Thanks again, I really do like your response to this!
  • A lot of times I eat when not hungry at all and be over full and miserable. Not good for your general health especially your heart.
  • Figure out what your passion is in life, what you really ought to be doing, and start doing it, full time. You wont even remember to eat. ..If you need help identifying your thing in life, go to a book store and pay attention to what kinds of books attract your attention. You'll see you. Then...perhaps buy the book, and start being you. Eating will stop being your go to replacement for getting to live.
    • Mr PantsFellDown
      PS - Pay no attention to thoughts of "Oh I cant. Oh because..." Those are excuses your mind makes automatically. Ignore them. And say this instead I CAN! I CAN I CAN AND I WILL!! Say it every morning, say it all day. LIVE DAMN IT!
    • AskingForaFriend
      Thanks, you said some good things. I actually don't have an eating/ weight problem, although I guess I made it seem that way. I did however used to smoke way too much weed and your advice above applies to that too, for me.
    • Mr PantsFellDown
      Ah yes. I learned that stuff in alcohol recovery. They had me buying books on spirituality and self help and all that. It was useful stuff. I also had to quit cigarettes which was SO hard...I needed to know how to hang on and not give up! lol Now pot..mm.. I got a friend who's been stoned for years. But it isnt about addiction. Pot isn't really known to be addictive, but people can become DEPENDENT on it, if they have unresolved issues. This is where the 12 step program at AA or NA helps. People go to those meetings and learn to figure out what their failings are (including not letting themselves live authentically or freely or at all, or such things as not letting some past pain go so they can move forward, etc) and it frees them, so they no longer need the escape, the crutch which has been their drug. ...I like to simplify these things though. Things Wayne Dyer said, like "Never think about what you dont want, only think about what you do want in your life"...that's helpful to me.
    • AskingForaFriend
      Thanks, good stuff.
      So, you don't think compulsive Overeaters fall under the category of obsessive-compulsive behavior?
    • Mr PantsFellDown
      OCD is about people who ritualistically do behaviors repeatedly which make no sense, and interfere with their life. For example, someone who cannot switch a light off, without then switching the light back on and off again to make sure, but then on and off again and again, a series of ten times...And then, after all that, doing it ten more times again...then again, then again. And they were leaving the house, but an hour later, they haven't been able to finish addressing this weird need. Another example of OCD is that same (or another) person may take to repeating incantations to a chair, to magically cleanse it of dirt, before they can sit. ...On the other hand, compulsive over-eating can result just from unfulfilled needs, that are being substituted for by "filling the emptiness" with food...and this person may not have OCD at all, just a life issue to sort out. Something they haven't been allowing themself to do, or are prevented from somehow, even by finances. It could be a simple as they need a date! And then their whole feeling toward food would change to a healthier one that self respects. And they may start eating to live, rather than living to eat.