• Good question. Very hard to know when someone else is "assuming." Their behavior may give them away...or not. I don't know the mind of others as they don't know mine. I assume I know why you are asking this question but unless you tell me I could be right or I could be wrong. Assuming those are the only two choices.
      I'm sorry. I can see now this question was not very clear.
  • Only when there's a chance there's some truth in their assumption, and I feel a defensive need to deny it. (That's actually something people do. The adage goes "you'll only feel angry at someone's words when they might be right"). ..So if someone's assumption is partly, or more, right, and it's something one wants kept covered, they will "correct"!
      I'm confused. There was no anger involved. Its just sometimes simpler to let someone assume I did clerical work in the service than to correct them. Usually they don't know what it is when I tell them and the explanation involves translating the military language into words they're familiar with and in the long run its inconsequential anyway
      It does kinda feel like a lie if I don't set the record straight, but just tedious sometimes.
  • if it is appropriate at the time