• I have no idea, and yes god is a concept created by religion. +6
  • It means they have a belief in God, but don't agree that they need to follow every custom and whim of a church.
  • I think they mean formal religion. Some churches are mult-national organisations with specific beliefs, practices and interpretations of the Bible. You don't have to belong to a church to believe in God.
  • If they believe, I imagine that for them it is the other way around. They believe God exists(ed). Religion(s) are something man created based on His teachings. . There are many different religions, some of them to greater or lesser degree contrary. They can't all be right! . So if I believed that God exists, but did not believe that any religion had the absolute truth, that it was created by fallible people on the basis of thier personal interpretations, i wold believe in God but not any or all religions.
  • I'm not being smart or sarcastic but the reason COULD be something as simple as "that's the way they feel". People who share this perspective were probably raised to believe in God so they wouldn't think of feeling any other way. But for whatever reason, they've decided not to attend church regularly and they may or may not read the Bible or do those things they associate "religious people" doing. Therefore, they don't consider themselves "religious". It has nothing to do with examining the origin of religions. Personally speaking, I consider myself "spiritual". That means, I don't go to church or read the Bible either. I gather my information and form my perspective of God from "non-traditional" sources AND my own personal experience.
  • If you read the New Testament you will see that the Pharasee's and the saducee's were called Religeous By Jesus Himself along with vipors and they were the ones who had Jesus killed. These religeous people were the ones who stood in the temple in their fancy robes for everyone to see. Jesus wore simple clothes and spoke only of His Father and not Himself. so that is probably why Christians say they are not religeous, but believe in God.
  • There is a difference between being religious and spiritual. Some are religious and spiritual, others spiritual and not religious. We read of surveys of people who believe there is "something" out there but don't belong to a religion. Religion didn't "create" God: that is a nonsense. On the other hand I suppose we do tend to "create" our own gods in our imagination far removed from the real God. The most skilled at creating imaginary gods are the atheists who presumably do so in order to "prove" they don't exist!
  • probably cause theyre talking about a relationship with god and not a religion
  • Not really...Religion is what happens when a belief system is organized...and even then not properly. Abraham was living in UR , an ancient city, but believed in a singular god. This god was Jehovah who sent an angel to tell Abraham to leave the city and live from then on in tents...to become a nomad. Only when others joined Abraham in his belief could they be called a religion. Organised belief systems could very well have existed in UR before Abraham was visited. Abraham was the start of MONOTHEISM...
  • No. God is an entity that has always existed. Religion explains Him.
  • You're wrong on both counts. What people actually mean is, they are believers in the "spiritual" or "transcendent" mainly. Though there are other concepts out there. "Religion" like "empire" is a modern misunderstood concept which people today are largely ignorant of. Most people who have simple minded views on religion, as you do, seem to think it's some sort of "race" or "nationality". Where all the "individuals" are the same and follow one set of rules. This is obviously not the case.