• Christians believe that the New Testament supplanted the Old Testament (Hebrews 8:13, Romans 7:6, Esphesians 2:15), yet there are also indications in the New Testament that the Old Testament laws should still be strictly followed (Matthew 5:17-18, James 2:10, Luke 24:44). It's one of many contradictions in the Bible.
    • Texasescimo
      'If' or 'whosoever shall keep' are not commands. Keeping the law until it is fulfilled does not mean to keep after it is fulfilled. (Matthew 5:17, 18) Do not think I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I came, not to destroy, but to fulfill. 18Truly I say to you that sooner would heaven and earth pass away than for one smallest letter or one stroke of a letter to pass away from the Law until all things take place. (Luke 24:44) He then said to them: These are my words that I spoke to you while I was yet with you, that all the things written about me in the Law of Moses and in the Prophets and Psalms must be fulfilled. (James 2:10) For if anyone obeys all the Law but makes a false step in one point, he has become an offender against all of it. (Deuteronomy 27:26) Cursed is the one who will not uphold the words of this Law by carrying them out. (And all the people will say, Amen!) (Galatians 3:10) All those who depend on works of law are under a curse, for it is written: Cursed is everyone who does not remain in all the things written in the scroll of the Law by doing them. James 2:10 King James Version (KJV) 10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.
      Does God lie? If I obey the law of The Tithe will God withhold from me a need? I can testify to you that when I pay my thithes I never want for anything I need and I am blessed with more than I could have imagined in ways I couldn't have anticipated! Are we ever denied the promised blessing if we keep the law its predicated upon? Now or later we will be blessed. Isn't that more important than contending technicalities? Ask God! You have that right! See James 1:5-6.
    • bostjan64
      @Texasescimo: I have no idea what point you are trying to get at, whatsoever, but thanks for contributing to the conversation.
    • bostjan64
      @Linda Joy: If a Christian believes that anyone who tithes 10% to the church will have everything they need, tithes 10% and ends up starving to death for want of food, that Christian would simply see it as God bringing them home as it was their time anyway. If an non-believer saw the same thing, the non-believer would simply explain it as the Christian God doesn't exist and therefore, no one was held to fulfill God's end of the agreement. The one exception might be an unironic Satanist, who would believe that the Christian God exists and yet still the agreement didn't work out, perhaps because of interference from their own dark lord, Satan. Either way, no one on either side of the theological divide would see the hypothetical scenario you described as proving anything.
    • Texasescimo
      No Linda, God does not lie. When is the last time you sacrificed an animal? Do you disagree with Paul? (Romans 10:2-4) For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not according to accurate knowledge. 3 For because of not knowing the righteousness of God but seeking to establish their own, they did not subject themselves to the righteousness of God. 4 For Christ is the end of the Law, so that everyone exercising faith may have righteousness. (Romans 7:6) But now we have been released from the Law, because we have died to that which restrained us, in order that we might be slaves in a new sense by the spirit and not in the old sense by the written code. (Ephesians 2:15) By means of his flesh he abolished the enmity, the Law of commandments consisting in decrees, in order to make the two groups in union with himself into one new man and to make peace, (Colossians 2:13, 14) Furthermore, though you were dead in your trespasses and in the uncircumcised state of your flesh, God made you alive together with him. He kindly forgave us all our trespasses 14 and erased the handwritten document that consisted of decrees and was in opposition to us. He has taken it out of the way by nailing it to the torture stake.
    • Texasescimo
      Looks like we don't give a certain amount to support the temple that was destroyed in 70 C.E. (2 Corinthians 9:7) Let each one do just as he has resolved in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. (2 Thessalonians 3:8, 9) nor did we eat anyone?s food free. On the contrary, by labor and toil we were working night and day so as not to impose an expensive burden on any one of you. 9?Not that we do not have authority, but we wanted to offer ourselves as an example for you to imitate. (Acts 18:3) and because he had the same trade, he stayed at their home and worked with them, for they were tentmakers by trade. (Acts 20:34) You yourselves know that these hands have provided for my own needs and the needs of those with me. (2 Corinthians 11:9) Yet, when I was present with you and I fell into need, I did not become a burden on anyone, for the brothers who came from Mac?e?do?ni?a abundantly supplied my needs. Yes, in every way I kept myself from becoming a burden to you and will continue to do so. (2 Thessalonians 3:8) nor did we eat anyone?s food free. On the contrary, by labor and toil we were working night and day so as not to impose an expensive burden on any one of you. (2 Thessalonians 3:10) In fact, when we were with you, we used to give you this order: ?If anyone does not want to work, neither let him eat.?
    • Texasescimo
      (2 Corinthians 2:17) We are, for we are not peddlers of the word of God as many men are, but we speak in all sincerity as sent from God, yes, in the sight of God and in company with Christ.
    • Texasescimo
      Bostjan64, did you read the verses you said contradict each other? If so, this should make sense. 'If' or 'whosoever shall keep' are not commands. Keeping the law until it is fulfilled does not mean to keep after it is fulfilled
    • bostjan64
      In Matthew Chapter 5, Jesus says to follow the laws of Moses, true or false? You aren't making any sense by saying that "whosoever shall keep the commandments" means that Old Testament Laws are not commandments. Out of all the points you could make, you chose that, which means you either are unable to apply logic or you are trying to make a dishonest argument.
    • Texasescimo
      The Old Covenant Laws were commandments for those under that Covenant. Those that were under the Mosaic Law Covenant as well as whosoever tries to hold on to the Old Covenant after it was fulfilled, need to be aware that they are under those under the Old Covenant were under all of it, not just the convenient parts. James 2:10 King James Version (KJV) 10 For WHOSOEVER shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. (Galatians 3:10) All those who depend on works of law are under a curse, for it is written: “Cursed is everyone who does not remain in all the things written in the scroll of the Law by doing them.”
    • bostjan64
      Those verses disprove your own point.
    • Texasescimo
      So those that were under the Covenant and those choosing to be under the Covenant were not under all of it?
    • bostjan64
      What you are saying has nothing to do with what those verses say, and you know it.
    • Texasescimo
      You are taking it out of context and YOU KNOW IT. Go back and read my comment that started with: The Old Covenant Laws
    • Texasescimo
      https://www.dictionary.com/browse/whosoever EXAMPLES FROM THE WEB FOR WHOSOEVER But I say onto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart. KEEP CHRISTMAS COMMERCIALIZED!|P. J. O’ROURKE|DECEMBER 6, 2014|DAILY BEAST Whosoever knoweth the power of the dance, dwelleth in God. CHALLENGING RELIGIOUS TRADITION FOR THE LOVE OF GOD — AND THE LOVE OF DANCE|MORAL COURAGE|JUNE 16, 2014|DAILY BEAST And whosoever would not conform themselves to the ways of the Gentiles, should be put to death: then was misery to be seen. THE BIBLE, DOUAY-RHEIMS VERSION|VARIOUS Whosoever lives unmarried lives without joy, without comfort, without blessing.
    • Texasescimo
      King James Version (KJV) 10 For WHOSOEVER shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all . . . . bostjan64 (BJV) 10 EVERYONE shall keep the whole law, and IF THEY offend in one point, THEY ARE guilty of all
    • bostjan64
      Texasescimo: "https://www.dictionary.com/browse/whosoever EXAMPLES FROM THE WEB FOR WHOSOEVER But I say onto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart. KEEP CHRISTMAS COMMERCIALIZED!|P. J. O’ROURKE|DECEMBER 6, 2014|DAILY BEAST Whosoever knoweth the power of the dance, dwelleth in God. CHALLENGING RELIGIOUS TRADITION FOR THE LOVE OF GOD — AND THE LOVE OF DANCE|MORAL COURAGE|JUNE 16, 2014|DAILY BEAST And whosoever would not conform themselves to the ways of the Gentiles, should be put to death: then was misery to be seen. THE BIBLE, DOUAY-RHEIMS VERSION|VARIOUS Whosoever lives unmarried lives without joy, without comfort, without blessing." Do you have a virus or something?!
    • Texasescimo
      Sorry, I thought you might understand that whosoever looketh on a woman is not a command for everyone to looketh on a woman and did not mean that EVERYONE looketh on a woman.
    • bostjan64
      If it said in the Bible that whosoever looketh on a woman is guilty of a sin, then that'd be a command not to looketh on a woman. What point are you even trying to make?! This is just getting silly these past few comments. Are we just going to pretend that the all-caps spam messages in your comment several minutes ago just never happened?!
    • Texasescimo
      I posted the link and copied and pasted the content. You can go to the link and skip over the small capitalized words if you like. So then you take James 2:10 as a command not to keep the whole law, right? King James Version (KJV) 10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.
    • Texasescimo
      A reasonable person looks at the context of both verses. Otherwise you end up with: That whosoever looketh on a woman . . . James 2:10 King James Version (KJV) 10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law. . . Do not looketh on a woman . . . James 2:10 King James Version (KJV) 10 Do not keep the whole law. . .
    • bostjan64
      That maketh no sense!
    • Texasescimo
      I just substituted 'Do not' in place of 'whosoever'
    • bostjan64
      If it says "For whosoever shall keep the law do not _____," then it is saying that if you _____, you broke the law. How is this at all difficult for you?!
    • Texasescimo
      Yeah, if that is what it said. But that is not what it says, is it? What is the point of James 2? Was Abraham under the Mosaic Law Covenant?
    • bostjan64
      James 2 says not to break any of the laws. It has nothing to do with Abraham. You keep saying that "whosoever" somehow changes the meaning of the "lawbreaker" aspect of it to fit your meaning, but the passage is clear: follow the law the best you can, and if you transgress the law, you are a lawbreaker, regardless of how unimportant you think that law you broke was.
    • Texasescimo
      All you get out of the whole chapter is not to break any of the laws? If Chapter 2 has nothing to do with Abraham, what translation are you looking at? (James 2:8) If, now, you carry out the royal law according to the scripture, “You must love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing quite well. (James 2:10) For if anyone obeys all the Law but makes a false step in one point, he has become an offender against all of it. (James 2:12) Keep on speaking and behaving in such a way as those do who are going to be judged by the law of a free people. (James 2:21-23) Was not Abraham our father declared righteous by works after he offered up Isaac his son on the altar? 22You see that his faith was active along with his works and his faith was perfected by his works, 23and the scripture was fulfilled that says: “Abraham put faith in Jehovah, and it was counted to him as righteousness,” and he came to be called Jehovah’s friend.
    • Texasescimo
      See if this helps you to get a better understanding was to what James 2 is talking about: [James states that such unjust, harsh and unkind criticism of one’s Christian brother amounts to a speaking against law and a judging of it. Earlier in his letter James refers to the “kingly law” of loving one’s neighbor and of “the law of a free people.” (Jas. 2:8, 12) So it appears that, in the section under consideration, James is not referring to the Mosaic law but to God’s law generally as it applied to the Christian congregation. As scholar Lenski points out, the word “law” in Greek is here anarthrous, that is, without the definite article “the,” and this lends support to the view that James is not referring specifically to the Mosaic law (“the law”). It may be noted, however, that the “kingly law” of loving one’s neighbor was also implicit in the Law covenant. Jesus in fact said that the whole Law (given through Moses to Israel) rested on but two commandments, love of God and love of one’s neighbor. (Compare Leviticus 19:18; Matthew 22:37-40; Romans 13:8-10.) Similarly, the “new commandment” given by Jesus also places its emphasis on such love. (John 13:34; 15:12) All the inspired Christian writings maintain that emphasis.]
    • Texasescimo
      What translation of the Bible have you read? I asked you before where you claimed to have read the whole Bible and you totally skirted around it.
    • bostjan64
      "What translation of the Bible have you read? I asked you before where you claimed to have read the whole Bible and you totally skirted around it." Here we go again, I even predicted it. I'm done with this! There is no point in having this exact argument for a second time!
    • Texasescimo
      Yeah, scary question.
      What you believe is your choice. I know for a fact that God does not lie and if you keep ALL THE COMMANDMENTS you will receive ALL THE BLESSINGS upon which they are predicated. No one can convince me otherwise because I already know the truth and I won't debate this.
  • theyre all true
  • Both are true, but for Christians the New Testament is the New Covenant. https://www.openbible.info/topics/new_covenant
  • Christians follow the principles in the whole Bible. We are not under the Old Covenant or Mosaic Law. (Jeremiah 31:31) Look! The days are coming, declares Jehovah, when I will make with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah a new covenant. (Hebrews 8:13) In his saying a new covenant, he has made the former one obsolete. Now what is obsolete and growing old is near to vanishing away. (Hebrews 9:15) That is why he is a mediator of a new covenant, in order that because a death has occurred for their release by ransom from the transgressions under the former covenant, those who have been called may receive the promise of the everlasting inheritance.
    • bostjan64
      Do you eat pork?
    • Texasescimo
      Yes, fish without scales too! Of course I am not an Israelite living before the death of the Messiah. (Daniel 9:24-27) (Colossians 2:13, 14) Furthermore, though you were dead in your trespasses and in the uncircumcised state of your flesh, God made you alive together with him. He kindly forgave us all our trespasses 14?and erased the handwritten document that consisted of decrees and was in opposition to us. He has taken it out of the way by nailing it to the torture stake. Exodus 34:27) And Jehovah went on to say to Moses: Write down for yourself these words, because it is in accordance with these words that I do conclude a covenant with you and Israel.
    • bostjan64
      None of those verses say to eat pork. Moses forbade it and Jesus reinforced that the laws of Moses should be practiced: Leviticus 11:7-8, Matthew 5:17-19. If the fact that you can just eat pork and ask for forgiveness means it's okay to eat pork, then how does the same logic not apply to every other sin?
    • Texasescimo
      Have you not been reading the verse that I posted? Would not a new covenant be put in place at some point? (Jer 31:31) What does Dan 9:24-27 tell you in relation to sacrifice and offering in relation to the timing of the death of the Messiah? What more can you tell me about that prophecy? If a contract is fulfilled, are those under the contract, still held by the agreements therein? If a sport figure is under contract not to drink Pepsi products UNTIL his contract with Coke is FULFILLED, does that mean he cannot drink Coke afterward? Does that mean all future sports figures cannot drink Coke either because said sport figure WAS under said agreement? You are not an ISRAELITE living before Jesus death and neither am I. I don't want to assume, but you do know that at the time Jesus said the words recorded in Matthew, Jesus and other Jews were under the Law Covenant, right? (Matthew 5:17-19) “Do not think I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I came, not to destroy, but TO FULFILL. 18?Truly I say to you that sooner would heaven and earth pass away than for one smallest letter or one stroke of a letter to pass away from the Law UNTIL all things take place. 19?Whoever, therefore, breaks one of these least commandments and teaches others to do so will be called least in relation to the Kingdom of the heavens. But whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in relation to the Kingdom of the heavens.
    • bostjan64
      If the words of Jesus say "sooner would heaven and earth pass away than for one smallest letter or one stroke of a letter to pass away from the Law until all things take place," then you should go by the law until all things have come to pass. What is so difficult for you to understand about the meanings of those words?
    • Texasescimo
      Until - https://www.thefreedictionary.com/until 1. Up to the time of . . . . Fulfill (In relation to a period of time as shown by 'UNTIL' and prophecies like Jer 31;Dan 9) - https://www.dictionary.com/browse/fulfill to bring to an end; finish or complete, as a period of time:
    • bostjan64
      "until all things take place" - posting the dictionary definition of the word "until" doesn't allow you to change the words that follow "until" into whatever you want it to say!
    • Texasescimo
      (Daniel 9:24-27) ...27“And he will keep the covenant in force for the many for one week; and at the half of the week, he will cause sacrifice and gift offering to cease. “And on the wing of disgusting things there will be the one causing desolation; and until an extermination, what was decided on will be poured out also on the one lying desolate.” (Matthew 5:17-18) Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them, but to fulfill them. 18 for I tell you truly, until heaven and earth pass away, not a single jot, not a stroke of a pen, will disappear from the law until everything is accomplished. (Luke 16:17) Indeed, it is easier for heaven and earth to pass away than for one stroke of a letter of the Law to go unfulfilled. (John 17:4) I have glorified you on the earth, having finished the work you have given me to do. (John 19:30) When he had received the sour wine, Jesus said: “It has been accomplished!” and bowing his head, he gave up his spirit.
    • Texasescimo
      You really should read the whole Bible instead of just hate sites that parrot the same old tired out of context stuff. (Romans 10:4) For Christ is the end of the Law, so that everyone exercising faith may have righteousness. (Galatians 3:13) Christ purchased us, releasing us from the curse of the Law by becoming a curse instead of us, because it is written: “Accursed is every man hung upon a stake.” (Galatians 4:4, 5) But when the full limit of the time arrived, God sent his Son, who was born of a woman and who was under law, 5?that he might release by purchase those under law, so that we might receive the adoption as sons. (Galatians 4:21) Tell me, you who want to be under law, Do you not hear the Law?
    • bostjan64
      "You really should read the whole Bible instead of just hate sites that parrot the same old tired out of context stuff." Your strategy, rather than having a meaningful conversation about anything religious, is to 1. Make blanket statement. 2. Defend blanket statement by repeating Bible verses that contradict blanket statement. 3. Try to confound anyone pointing this out by either a) posting dictionary definitions of words that are in those verses, but totally irrelevant to your point or b) repeat said Bible verses. 4. When step 3 inevitably fails, accuse anyone who disagrees with you of a) not reading the entire Bible, b) start using all capital letters, or c) start inserting spam messages or nonsense unicode characters into responses. 5. If all measures from step 4 fail, accuse the person of not understanding the Bible or being willfully obtuse for not understanding the confusing characters, capitalization, and non sequitors. 6. By then, the entire thread should be old enough for no one to care anymore, so find a new question and repeat step 1. Did I win a prize?
    • Texasescimo
      Yeah right. The world according to bostjan64. I don't believe in rainbow colored unicorns. Maybe I should follow your example and spend all of my time trying to convince people that they are not real. But then again, I don't have to take things out of context to show that they are not real. You should try the advice at Phil 4:5.
    • Texasescimo
      A bunch of baseless accusations but context doesn't mean anything to you. As I said when you accused me of b and c in our other thread under your answer, I posted the link and copied and pasted the content. You can go to the link and skip over the small capitalized words if you like. https://www.dictionary.com/browse/whosoever
    • Texasescimo
      You can also refer to our comments under LizzyP where you appeared to understand that the answerbag website changes characters from certain under websites. But then again, that would invalidate your agenda.
    • bostjan64
      My point is simple: You say you must obey all of the Bible. The Bible says not to eat port (Leviticus 11:7-8). You say eating pork is okay, because you are not an ancient Israelite, and posted several verses, none of which had anything to do with eating pork. I refered you to Matthew 5, where Jesus teaches that you should follow the Law and then goes on to build upon the Mosaic Law with additional restrictions that go above and beyond (none of these contradict the Mosaic Law). You kept going on about the word "until" as if saying "until all things have taken place" means 'oh it's totally okay to do this now,' despite the context of Matthew 5 being totally contrary to that.
    • Texasescimo
      Pretty sure this is what I said: [Christians follow the principles in the whole Bible. We are not under the Old Covenant or Mosaic Law. ...]
    • Texasescimo
      Pretty sure I quoted the verses in question in context, although all you see is [Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets....not a single jot, not a stroke of a pen, will disappear from the law...] Try reading the rest with a half open mind and maybe you will understand. (Daniel 9:24-27) ...27“And he will keep the covenant in force for the many for one week; and at the half of the week, he will cause sacrifice and gift offering to cease. “And on the wing of disgusting things there will be the one causing desolation; and until an extermination, what was decided on will be poured out also on the one lying desolate.” (Matthew 5:17-18) Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them, but to fulfill them. 18 for I tell you truly, until heaven and earth pass away, not a single jot, not a stroke of a pen, will disappear from the law until everything is accomplished. (Luke 16:17) Indeed, it is easier for heaven and earth to pass away than for one stroke of a letter of the Law to go unfulfilled. (John 17:4) I have glorified you on the earth, having finished the work you have given me to do. (John 19:30) When he had received the sour wine, Jesus said: “It has been accomplished!” and bowing his head, he gave up his spirit.
  • Follow God..... God exists within you as you.... Get in touch.
  • Read James 1:5-6. Then pray and ask God. The answer may come to your mind immediately or you may be required to be patient with faith that the answer will come before it is granted. Sometimes the answer comes from the mouths of others but if it is true it will ring true in our hearts and minds as long as we live in obedience and choose to do right so we are worthy of the companionship of the Holy Ghost. But we are all entitled to the Light of Christ. That's the knowing right from wrong. Even small children know hurting people is wrong because it feels wrong. But the more evil one chooses to do anyway the less you will be able to see that light. The pure Light of Christ that IS AGAPE LOVE!
  • 2 Timothy 3:16 explains that “All scripture is inspired of God and beneficial...so that every man of God may be fully competent...”. The Old Testament contains prophecies that that were fulfilled in the New Testament. It also explains God’s original purpose for humankind, the purpose of the Messiah, how we were created, the cause of human suffering and gives us beautiful descriptions of life on earth after the destruction of “the wicked one” and those under his influence. (Psa 37:10, Pro 2:22, Psa 37:28, Psa 145:20, Psa 37:34). Both parts, the Hebrew-Aramaic and the Christian Greek Scriptures, of the Bible are necessary to draw close to our God and to do his will.
    • bostjan64
      Follow up question: Why do JW's use funny quotation marks? Is it part of the religion?
    • Texasescimo
      It's a glitch in answerbag when copying and pasting certain punctuation marks from some other sites. Ask Linda about how that works, she is the one that told me about it. Or you can just think it's a JW thing if you like.
    • bostjan64
      It just seems like only the JW people have that problem, for some reason. I don't ever have that problem when I use quotation marks, as far as I can tell on my end. Maybe the JW online Bible has some sort of different unicode for quotation marks than the other translations, or maybe AB's software just doesn't like JW's. Whatever the case, everything looks fine now, so maybe it's a browser issue.
    • Texasescimo
      I went back and fixed it.
      Its not just JW's. It happens when you copy in text from another editor that is not recognized by this editor. Sometimes an ' will cut off the following text entirely.
  • All-Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, reproof, correction, instruction in righteousness, so that the man or woman of God can be fully equipped in righteousness. (2 Timothy 3:16-17) We must read the Bible in context to know the Old Testament is followed in Judaism. Whereas, when we read the New Testament, it focuses on the Gentiles. John 10:16 "And I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to My voice. So there will be one flock, one Shepherd."