• Nope. I have no interest in paying for someone to get a degree in women's studies so that they can get out of college and be unemployed. If a person incurs student debt to get a college degree, they should have to pay it back, just like any other VOLUNTARY loan.
      Pay your own way is certainly a commonly heard objection, but why focus on subject matter? College is not supposed to be vocational training, but whether science or liberal arts, includes core studies in a variety of subjects.
      Core subjects are good. But what we see college is NOT doing is preparing students for find gainful employment, which is why you see useless degrees like gender studies or liberal arts or art history or ethnic studies.
      I see both your points. But I think preparing a student for gainful employment is the student's job at this point with the guidance of any parents they may have left. And choosing poorly is just another life lesson. But I understand not wanting to waste your money!
      I agree, choosing poorly is their own issue to deal with. But, when the taxpayers are paying for their education, how many times do we have to pay for useless degrees? I personally think the major issue is that the government needs to get out of the student loan business. If someone wants to give out a loan for a degree, then it should be underwritten just like any other loan. Will it benefit everyone involved? The government just doles out money, knowing that eventually they'll get repaid (you can't get rid of your government loan) and in encourages the colleges to raise tuition because they just tell everyone, "Get a loan and pay."
      I didn't pay for my own son's higher education. I think it means a lot more if you earn it yourself. And the student will put more effort into their studies if there is a cost for their failure. The government needs to get out of the business of any business other than governing. Then maybe they could at least get THAT part right!!
      Good luck with that. Once you get a government program going, you understand it never goes away, right?
  • not if i cant afford it
  • Yes but that should also include an option for trade school training and if the student flunks out, it should no longer be free.
      Good point about trade school needing to be an option and flunking out a disqualifier.
      Trade schools should be encouraged.
      I think they make a great segue from high school to college, as well as the military or job corp. Not everyone is ready for college out of high school. Especially if they are sick and tired of school!
  • In the infamous word of Pearl, no. :P
  • Yes. An educated society has many many benefits to society. I think there is currently way too much money spent on incarcerating non-violent folks with addictions. Having a basic college education would likely offer opportunities and purposeful direction to those who may be born into poverty or a very modest income household. The more gainfully employed folks the more thriving economy and more liberty in the persuit of happiness. Were all in this together!
      That's a great concept in theory... if only it worked that way!! They tried this in Scotland. Their income taxes are 10% higher for everyone but only 25% of the population has a degree. And that's only 5% more than have one here. Besides that your reasoning that the poor would benefit is another misconception, because they already qualify for grants, scholarships and work study programs here. If they wanted to go to college for free they could! Its the working class that can't afford to go.
      -Roaring - You can be gainfully employed, with a good wage, without making others pay for your education. Cutting stifling government regulations to the free market will give us the thriving economy and getting the government off our backs will give us more liberty.
  • Let's go with "no," but if I could stipulate a lot of unrealistic terms, I would say "sure."