• No democrats voted for the Civil Rights act, so what do you think... And when they come back with the "Big Switch," we can explain that lie also.
    • OC Joe
      This is true but when the civil rights act passed (along with the voting rights act) every southern state was Democrat and switched parties to become Republican. That was in about 1964 at which time the Democrats and Republicans did a huge reversal in their sentiment toward black Americans. Republicans are considered right wing and the KKK is, by definition, a right wing extremest group.
      The civil rights act and voting rights act would never have been necessary if the democrats hadn't blocked the blacks from having these rights that were already guaranteed them in The Constitution! Strom Thurmond is a 'huge reversal'? No, the reversal came when FDR wanted to push through the new deal and Blacks voted for him hoping to get in on it but the Democrats said they'd only get behind it if Blacks didn't benefit from it so they made sure domestics and farmers were exempt so FDR could get his new deal and democrats could be racist and they tricked the Blacks into voting democrat. Then acted like they were giving them a gift when they proposed the civil rights act.
      -OC - c'mon hoss. We all know the "Big Switch" is total bupkiss. Even Bill Clinton said of Robert Bryd, "You had to be in the Klan to advance in the Democratic Party." The Dixiecrats stayed democrats, even after they dealt with FDR to block anti-lynching laws to trade up for his New Deal push.
  • have no idea
      why answer?
    • Pearl Lederman
      please stop putting nne down when i answer, i dont need that
      I asked a question.
      Please don't think I'm 'putting you down' when I tell you the reason I go to the trouble to include links is so you can go read about the issue so you can educate yourself so you will know so you can have an idea. But feel free to answer any way you like. I just think you're missing an opportunity to learn when you choose not to click the link and read so you can add to our discussion.
      I'm just curious why she chooses to answer alot of questions with "I don't know" or "I've never heard of him." Then why bother answering?
      -Linda - while I believe the Wikipedia gives a nice generalized "gob" of information, when looking at many political issues, it's very clearly slanted to the left and should be taken with a grain of salt.
  • The KKK has nothing to do with political affiliation, kid. Just as Jews who helped the Nazi's did not do so out of racial or religious affiliation.
      I'm not a kid. I didn't say it was a political affiliation, even though it was started by democrats. Your narrative has absolutely no correlation, and you didn't answer my question. But I already know why. You didn't want to admit it.
    • Lynn Carver
      I agree jshm22. I hardly doubt anyone gave a flying flip whether the KKK were democrat or republican when they were lynching black people and terrorizing other human beings. In fact, it doesn't matter now, either. A klan is a klan is a klan, and it matters not one bit what political label gets slapped on them. For someone to continue trivializing that group's terroristic presence by comparing how many were or are in this party or that tells me that the individual only cares about comparing one party's moral compass to another and they use race relations as their launch pad for that. The answer is that it doesn't matter. Racism and racists need no political, religious, or geographical affiliation to define what they are.
      Lynn, both parties try to use their moral compass as launch pads. Unfortunately, only one uses race to push their agenda, which is sad.
  • Back in the 1800's and early 1900's the KKK had both Rep. and Demos. in their ranks and very prevalent in some cities and not just in the south.
      But was started by the dems and had far more dems than reps. Besides the fact dems were the ones who blocked the rights blacks already had in The Constitution, then acted like it was some sort of gift by the dems when they finally quit blocking them in the civil rights era.
      "I'll have those niggers voting democrat for the next 200 years." - Lyndon Johnson. That's what he said about pushing the 1964 Civil Rights Act, which was filibustered by....Robert Byrd. (yep, the same one praised by the Clintons). But Thinker, I think you're correct, both republicans and democrats were Klansmen, although I also agree with Linda that the vast majority of them were democrats.