• What does Trinitarian mean?
    • Nick Batchelor
      Trinity has been called "the central doctrine of the Christian religion." Many believe that the Father, Son, and holy spirit are three persons in one God but I see no such description in the Bible.
    • Sue Scarcella
      The word "Trinity" is not there, but the concept is. If 'only God can forgive sins" (Mark 2:7) but Jesus does, what does that indicate about him? Either he is blaspheming as the Pharisees say, or He is God. If God is Israel's shepherd, yet Jesus is the Good Shepherd, what does that say about Jesus? Time after time, the same terminology for God the Father is given to Jesus. Especially when Jesus says, of himself "Before Abraham was, I am" (John 8:58), he is using the Greek ego eimi, the equivalent of Yahweh. You can see that he is pushing the point, because the pharisees pick up rocks to stone him for blasphemy. Similarly, in Revelation when John meets Jesus, Jesus says "I am the Alpha and the Omega" Rev 22:13. In the same book, God says " I am the Alpha and the Omega" (Rev 1:8). What is the only interpretation, given that John falls prostrate before Jesus in worship. The Greek word proskunein (worship) is only given to two persons in the Bible, God and Jesus.
      Jesus never claimed to have forgiven anyone's sins he said her sins were forgiven her because of the actions she took to make it so.
    • Nick Batchelor
      If you read Matthew 9:6-8 what do we see according to verse 8. He can forgive because he is God? Or because he was given authority to do so?
    • pugwashjw65
      "God" is a title, not a direct identification. Jehovah is the almighty GOD...Jesus is also 'a' god, a spiritual being, and so too is Satan, (2 Corinthians 4:4) among whom the god of this system of things has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, so that the illumination of the glorious good news about the Christ, who is the image of God, might not shine through. Football can 'be' a god to fans of the sport. So the use of the word should not be used as identification
      I don't have to be God to forgive someone and we all existed as spirits before the earth was formed. Jesus even says be one with me as I am one with the father. That doesn't mean we are Jesus any more than He is claiming to be the father.
    • Earle Brown
      I see the JW's calling Jesus "a god." So, God used "a god" to create humanity...then say no gods were with him when he was creating the unicerse? Did he not know that men would see Jesus as their god? Lol! When the Watchtower was busy trying to discredit Jesus, they use Johannes Greber's demonic writing as part of their research tool that allowed them to arrive at the concept that Jesus is "a god." But years earlier, the Watchtower publicize two different publications identifying Johannes Greber as a demonic source. So, when demons think to discredit the Son of God they use the Watchtower or Johannes Greber.
  • 12-31-2016 Jesus was a Jew, and the trinitarian concept was unknown among Jews. The concept originated in the Babylon Mystery Religion. There are several books with that title, explaining the history. https://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&field-keywords=babylon%20mystery%20religion
    • Nick Batchelor
      Yes, it is true that the creed of Israel is "Jehovah our God is one Jehovah" (Deuteronomy 6:4) not 3 in 1.
    • Sue Scarcella
      The Hebrew word used in Deuteronomy 6: 4 is echad, meaning one in unity. In all other cases in the Old Testament, when one is used, it is yichad, the single one.
    • Nick Batchelor
      The same exact word we know is used of Abraham . He too is also referred to as ONE (Echad) at Isaiah 51:2. I am confident that you have a Hebrew Interlinear where you can also check out Ezekiel 33:24, "Abraham was only one (Echad) man, yet he possessed the land." (NIV) We can both agree that Abraham was a singular entity and did not necessarily have three personalities in his very being.
  • The earliest believers saw Jesus Christ as intrinsic to who God really is. It was later Christological developments that managed to acquire a very complicated picture of who Jesus really is. The terms co-equal, co-existent, and co-eternal would be lost on the early believers. They were schooled in the Scriptures and in the ancient sages. God is one! That's all they needed to know. So, would we define the early Christians as Trinitarians, or as Arianists, or by what we know today as the Oneness theology? The truth is that none of these beliefs would accord entirely with the theology of the early Christians. However, the early believers could be more closely defined as binitarians, that is, in their belief of a 'two-in-One' theology. Yet they never lost their emphasis on an absolute monothiestic faith. The earliest Christians were absolute monothiest. They believed that Jesus Christ originated in and came forth from the Father, that is, without becoming separate from Him in His spiritual being. Later trinitarian theology had a take off from this early Jewish-Christian belief, in that a third party was to be added to the equation, the Holy Spirit. It should be pointed out that the early Jewish believers always saw the Holy Spirit in connection with either the Father or the Son. In the new covenant the Holy Spirit was also seen as the Spirit of Christ, as the emanating power and presence of God. And so in early binitarian theology, the Holy Spirit is generally seen as being identical to the Son, that is, as the Spirit of the Son. The Holy Spirit was also seen as the fullness of God, and/or as the power and activity of God at work. This pretty much accords with how the Jewish peoples themselves viewed the Holy Spirit... interesting article at christianchallenge.org.
    • Nick Batchelor
      Gone, Jesus was a Jew and he knew he wasn't God. (John 14:1) He also knew the creed of Israel in Deuteronomy 6:4. Jehovah was one Jehovah. Nothing complicated about that. Thanks for your comment.
    • Gone!
      John Gill's commentary speaks it very clearly. You're correct, it's not complicated. Thank you for providing John 14:1 as a reference. ye believe in God, believe also in me; which words may be read and interpreted different ways: either thus, "ye believe in God, and ye believe in me"; and so are both propositions alike, and express God and Christ to be equally the object of their faith; and since therefore they had so good a foundation for their faith and confidence, they had no reason to be uneasy: or thus, "believe in God, and believe in me"; and so both are exhortations to exercise faith alike on them both, as being the best antidote they could make use of against heart troubles: or thus, "believe in God, and ye believe in me"; and so the former is an exhortation, the latter a proposition: and the sense is, put your trust in God, and you will also trust in me, for I am of the same nature and essence with him; I and my Father are one; so that if you believe in one, you must believe in the other: or thus, and so our translators render them, "ye believe in God, believe also in me"; and so the former is a proposition, or an assertion, and the latter is an exhortation grounded upon it: you have believed in God as faithful and true in all his promises, though yon have not seen him; believe in me also, though I am going from you, and shall be absent for a while; this you may be assured of, that whatever I have said shall be accomplished. The words considered either way are a full proof of the true deity of Christ, since he is represented as equally the object of faith with God the Father, and lay a foundation for solid peace and comfort in a view of afflictions and persecutions in the world.
    • Nick Batchelor
      Jesus didn?t think he was God. The moment you have someone God to you then you can?t be that a God.
    • Nick Batchelor
  • Jesus christ was God. Did he not say i am in the father and the father is in me? What about that. The trinity is true: father, son, and holy spirit are one.
    • Nick Batchelor
      Christians to be in Christ also. No trinity necessary. Being "one" with God does in no way demand the idea of same being.
    • Jewels Vern
      It also says a man and his wife are one. Are you going to tell me that a man is his wife?
    • Nick Batchelor
      Good point!! Paul and Apollos are "one" but neither are they the same being.
    • Earle Brown
      You have no idea what concept was among the ancient Jews.....you are judge g by what today's Jews believe.
  • It is true Jesus was a Jew - a fictitious Jew, also known as Rabbi Yeshua. Christianity and other monotheistic programs are used as tools to keep people from real spiritual knowledge, and the power in the hands of those at the top. Satan is not "evil" as depicted in the Bible, and He and the other Gods (as in the Greek Gods etc) love humanity. The Bible defames them and calls them "demons", and people are told to stay away from them at all costs. Learn the TRUTH: www.joyofsatan.org
    • Nick Batchelor
      Jesus was fictitious? That alone tells me you have no idea what you are talking about.
    • iLove Knowledge
      Jesus represents the average Jew. The idea of Jesus being crucified was stolen from the Hindu myth in which the deity Krishna was crucified.
    • Nick Batchelor
      This is often parroted but not true at all. Not even close.
  • 3-9-2017 * New Catholic Encyclopedia, 1977 Edition, Vol. 13, p. 1021 -- The first use of the Latin word "trinitas" (trinity) with reference to God, is found in Tertulian's writings (about 213 A.D.) He was the first to use the term "persons" (plural) in a Trinitarian context. * Encyclopedia Americana, 1957 Edition, Vol. 27, p. 69 -- The word "Trinity" is not in Scripture. The term "persons" (plural) is not applied in Scripture to the Trinity. * World Book Encyclopedia, 1984 Edition, Vol. T, p. 363 -- Belief in Father, Son and Holy Ghost was first defined by the earliest general council of churches. This was the First Council of Nicaea in 325 A.D. * New International Encyclopedia, Vol. 22 p. 476 -- The Catholic faith is this; We worship one God in Trinity, but there is one Person of the Father, another of the Son and another of the Holy Ghost. The Glory equal -- the Majesty co-eternal. The doctrine is not found in its fully developed form in the Scriptures. Modern theology does not seek to find it in the Old Testament. At the time of the Reformation the Protestant Church took over the doctrine of the Trinity without serious examination. * Life Magazine, October 30, 1950, Vol. 29, No. 18, p. 51 -- The Catholics made this statement concerning their doctrine of the Trinity, to defend the dogma of the assumption of Mary, in an article written by Graham Greene: "Our opponents sometimes claim that no belief should be held dogmatically which is not explicitly stated in Scripture ... But the PROTESTANT CHURCHES have themselves accepted such dogmas as THE TRINITY, for which there is NO SUCH PRECISE AUTHORITY In the Gospels."
    • Nick Batchelor
      Yep! Jesus wasn't Trinitarian.
  • This is a question that many opinions vary on. The Bible though no matter what version is clear as to whether Jesus was a Trinitarian. If you open you Bible you will see that Jesus made it clear on numerous occasions that he was not equal in any way to his Father, God. For one thing, the Bible does not mention the word “Trinity.” For another, Jesus never claimed to be equal to God. Instead, Jesus worshipped God. (Luke 22:41-44) A third line of evidence concerns Jesus’ relationship with his followers. Even after he was raised from the dead to the spirit realm, Jesus called his followers “my brothers.” (Matthew 28:10) Were they brothers of Almighty God? Of course not! But through their faith in Christ—God’s preeminent Son—they too became sons of the one Father. What the Bible says: “My Father is greater than I [Jesus].”—John 14:28.* “I [Jesus] ascend unto my Father, and your Father, and to my God, and your God.”—John 20:17. “To us there is but one God, the Father.”—1 Corinthians 8:6. “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.”—1 Peter 1:3. “These things saith the Amen [Jesus], . . . the beginning of the creation of God.”—Revelation 3:14 If you would like to learn more about Jesus and the role he plays in God's Kingdom please visit www.jw.org
  • What the Bible says:
  • Jesus said he was the son of God. He prayed to The Father. They are three beings who are one in purpose.
    • pugwashjw65
      But the trinity doctrine states they are equal...Npot so...Jesus is NOT equal to his father Jehovah...
      Absolutely not. God said Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
    • Nick Batchelor
      What do you think of Psalms 8:5? What are angels called?
  • NO. If you can get any ' trinitarian' to explain the term, I will be surprised... Basically, it is supposed to mean three individuals, all equal, being the ONE individual... One supposedly being the holy spirit. But the holy spirit is NOT a person/individual...it is Jehovah's power...a force. The idea is a carryover from paganism, where 'gods' are supposed to ' know it all' and are depicted in statuary as having three faces, so they can 'see; everything. It was introduced into the Catholic church via Constantine, to get the pagans to join the church to make up the numbers...and because it suits Satan, it has remained...and even gone on to Protestant religions... J.W's have remained free of this false teaching..
    • pugwashjw65
      (Deuteronomy 6:4) ?Listen, O Israel: Jehovah our God is one Jehovah. If three were involved, the scriptures would say so.
    • Jenny_Rizzo
      The Bible is symbolic. This is why the man or the woman without the Spirit cannot understand the things of God.
  • To claim there are 3 gods is absurd. The Trinity known as 3 in 1 is simply explained by what God did in Heaven, on Earth and by His Resurrection. The Father is the truth. (Isaiah 65:16) Jesus is the truth. (John 14:6) The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of truth. (John 15:26) There can only be one Truth that leads to one God.
  • yes, god, jesus and the holy spirit are one
  • No. Jesus never claimed equality with his father, Jehovah... And the ' holy spirit' id Jehovah's power, a force and not a person/. Some scripture texts can be mis-leading, by saying the holy spirit is sent to help us...but the same can be said that the authorities send us electricity to help us...We cannot communicate direct with electrical power...but it helps us get things done.
    • Rick
      John 14:9 Jesus said unto him, ?Have I been so long a time with you, and yet hast thou not known Me, Philip? He that hath seen Me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, ?Show us the Father??
    • pugwashjw65
      Hi rick...Jesus has the same QUALITIES as his father...Jesus is NOT the same person... no more than any son can ALSO be his own father... A son CAN have the same qualities.
  • Jesus himself said that we must worship God alone “and to him alone you must render sacred service” in Matthew 4:10.
    • Rick
      Matthew 4:10 Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.
    • pugwashjw65
      And Jesus was not talking about himself...
  • He was simply the son of God - hard to understand huh? But who accused you of having a brilliant mind?
  • Always beyond any conceptual distinction.