• If you did not itemize your deductions on your Federal tax return for the same year that the state or local tax refund applies to, do not report any of the refund as income. If you received a refund of state or local income taxes this year that you took an itemized deduction for in an earlier year, you may have to include all or part of the refund as income on your tax return. The Form 1040 instructions for the state and local tax refund line provide you with a worksheet to calculate the amount of your refund that is taxable.

Copyright 2023, Wired Ivy, LLC

Answerbag | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy