• yup, you can.
  • I certainly would think so. The statue of limitations on felony auto theft probably runs into years!
  • Yes. Vehicle theft is a felony. The statute of limitations is different in each state. No problems prosecuting after just two weeks.
  • thank you both for responding. the police department that handled the situation are telling me that i can't, it was basially a do it then or never. they have closed the case and won't allow me to press charges now. how could i get them to reopen or can i? or should i go to the local district attorney to press charges. thanks again for your advice.
  • thanks, what happened was: an auto body shop repaired my car, we had a financial squabble after i picked my vehicle up in march. on june 3rd they came to my work and took my vehicle, and emailed me that my car was ready for pick-up on their lot, because no resolution came about over the financial matter. they made a copy of my key and drove my vehicle away. i had to prove that i have had my vechicle since march, which i could because i had tires put on and a state inspection done in may. they auto body shop went through my car taking out all receipts from march through june---i know this because they took my receipts out of the glove box for my tires and bulb replacements. i didnt press charges at that moment becuase i needed my car and that was my main concern. the officer's had me write in my written statement that i didn't want to press charges "at this time". i wasn't aware that if i didn't then, that i wouldn't be able to. i've had time to digest what happened and know their doing this practice to others. hope that helps some. thanks again.
  • Apparently, this is a gray area, involving a mechanics lien over some work, by the body shop, on your automobile. if you did not pay for the body repair, then the body shop, by law, has a right to recover their loss. in this case, your automobile. a mechanics lien exists in each state. The manner in which the body shop "took" your vehicle, may be in question, especially making a key to take your automobile. This is about 95% a civil case. Best advice is to contact an attorney. The officers, at the time of your police report, should have advised you of the civil status with this incident.

Copyright 2023, Wired Ivy, LLC

Answerbag | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy