• The city was built after the discovery of iron ore in the area during the early 1800s. The Jackson Mine was established in 1845 to mine the iron ore which would be shipped to steel making plants. The first iron forge in the Lake Superior region was established soon after in Negaunee as well. In 1858, the community was given a post office. In 1865, Negaunee was incorporated as a town and in 1868 the first police force was formed. 1873 marks the year Negaunee was recognized as a city. As mining operations expanded, many immigrants helped settle the area, bringing with them rich traditions that remain today. Due to extensive underground mining roughly half the city was abandoned in the early 1900's due to risk of cave-in. Because of the abandonment, Negaunee lost two hospitals, a school, four supermarkets, one museum, one theater, and nearly half of its residential area. Since then, Negaunee has lost some of its luster. Its population has been on a slow descent for the past eighty years. The city closed its trolley system in 1927. The Jackson Mine ceased all operations within the city limits in the 1940's. Due to bad bussiness, scores of local restaurants, supermarkets, banks, and schools have closed down. After the Spanish-American War, Negaunee erected a monument to those people from the area who were killed in the fighting. The monument has been abandoned for decades, but a renovation is a possibility. Today the downtown region is literally a plethera of abandoned buildings mixed with a few local businesses who survived the twentieth century. Source:

Copyright 2023, Wired Ivy, LLC

Answerbag | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy