• 6-29-2017 The USA had between six and fifteen presidents before G.W., depending on who does the counting, and one of them was black.
    • tominhouston
      Jewels, George Washington was the first President. He was in office from 1789 to 1797. We're on number 45 now.
    • Jewels Vern
      Well, google.com says otherwise. https://www.google.com/#q=how+many+presidents+before+Washington
    • bostjan64
      George Washington was the first President of the USA. President of the Continental Congress is not the same thing - no more than the president of General Electric is.
  • Yes and no. True there were no precedents. I have read that his personality was a driver of the peoples perception of the office. On the other hand since he was surrounded by the same people who debated, wrote and initiated the operation of the new Constitutional government I imagine that he was amply supplied with arguments as to how the government should function. It would appear from the Whiskey Rebellion of 1791 that he was a very willing participant in its function. He personally led 13,000 militiamen from New Jersey, Maryland, Virginia and Pennsylvania to put down the rebellion in western Pennsylvania.
  • No, I think Washington was just a really great leader.