• Whotsawhatsanism?
  • Antidisestablishmentarianism is a political position that originated in nineteenth-century Britain, where antidisestablishmentarians were opposed to proposals to remove the Church of England's status as the state church of England, forwarded principally by both Payne and Tuffin.
  • isnt that a double negative?
  • It is a political position requarding the Church of England's status as the state church of England.
  • It's the doctrine or political position that opposes the withdrawal of state recognition of an established church; - used especially concerning the Anglican Church in England. Opposed to disestablishmentarianism.
  • This word also rolled around in the 1960's and at that time as I recall the 'Hippies' claimed to be antidisestablishmentarianites, but it was probably a misuse of the word because I believe it to be church related. :o)