• The obvious answer is fresh bread dough ;) My mom follows a rich butter roll recipe with milk and eggs in it. My brother makes standard bread dough with water and no egg. As for myself, I start off with yeast and sugar in warm water. I scald some milk and butter together, then partially cooled. I dump the yeast mixture in once it's proofed. I mix in a little flour before adding any salt. From there I use texture, taste, or smell to add the right amount of flour and olive oil. On occasion I'll add an egg to the cooled milk mixture. I don't follow any written recipe ;)
  • 1 1/2 cups flour 1 pkg active dry yeast 1 5 oz can evaporated milk 1/2 cup granulated sugar 1/4 cup water 1/4 cup shortening 1 tsp salt 2 eggs 2 1/2 - 3 cups flour vegetable oil confectioners sugar Stir together 1 1/2 cups of the flour with yeast until well combined. In a medium saucepan, combine milk, sugar, water, shortening and salt. Heat until shortening melts and liquid measures 120F to 125F on an instant read thermometer (very warm). Stir the liquid into the flour, beating with an electric mixer. Stir in eggs 1 at a time, beating after each addition. Beat for several minutes, gradually adding the remaining flour. Turn out onto a lightly floured pastry board. Knead in as much of the remaining flour as is needed to make a stiff dough. Continue to knead for 5-8 minutes, or until dough is smooth and elastic. Shape into a ball, place in a lightly oiled bowl, turning once to coat with oil, and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight until ready to use. When ready to use, let dough reach room temperature and punch down. Let rest, covered with a damp paper towel for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and roll into flat rectangles 3 inches by 4 inches wide of an 1/8-1/4 inch thickness. Bring oil in a deep pan to a temperature of 365F. Using a slotted or mesh spoon, carefully lower two rectangles at a time into the hot oil and fry, turning once, for a total of about 1 1/2-2 minutes (or until golden). Remove and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle liberally with confectioners sugar while still warm and serve.