ANSWERS: 1
  • The earliest resident, John Patterson, was a farmer who settled there in 1798. In 1841, Van Buren Township was formed as the area grew. The township was renamed in 1952 as the Village of Kettering, named in honor of Charles F. Kettering, the inventor of the automobile self-starter. On June 24, 1955, Kettering gained city status with a home rule charter. The population grew from 38,000 residents in 1955 to over 69,000 residents by 1970. However a general decline in the Dayton Metro area also had an impact on Kettering. From 1970 to 1980, the population shrank more than 12%. The decline continued through the 2000 census when population fell below 60,000 residents for the first time since the 1960's. In addition to job losses in that period at various General Motors facilities in the region in the 1980's, the city was stung by the decision of the Base Closure and Realignment Commission to shutter Gentile Air Station, known locally as the Defense Electronics Supply Center (DESC). Despite a successful re-use of the base as a business park, a number of businesses nearby closed due to a loss of retail traffic. Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kettering%2C_Ohio

Copyright 2020, Wired Ivy, LLC

Answerbag | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy