• Are you saying Magic doesnt exist??????????
  • Because the authors of the bible themselves are the witnesses of God's reality. That God is real and true living God. Can the author of harry potter prove the reality of that potter's magic?
  • Exactamundo, Southdc231!
  • Here we go again... http://www.answerbag.com/a_view/3874033
  • Agreed it is not proof. BTW Magic does exist, and I think we can all thank JK for that! LOL
  • In my experience, most people who believe in the Bible don't know the difference between "faith" and "proof". I actually got asked to leave a Bible class for asking too many questions about the things in the Bible. On the one hand they say you can find "faith" by reading the Bible, and on the other hand if you ask too many questions about it, you don't have any "faith".
  • Doesn't It?!?
  • They say it because history and the Bible sync up quite a lot. But i get your point.
  • there goes my faith in the easter bunny!
  • Tell you what... YOU believe what YOU want... And I'LL believe what I want. What does it matter to you what I or anyone else believes?
  • harry potter doesn't exist? what are you going to say next santa doesn't exist
  • And like saying that Doctor Who is proof that time travel exists or that Star Trek is proof that warp drive exists or that The West Wing is proof that conservative Democrats exist... The Bible is a wonderful piece of literature, but that's all it is.
  • Because it's the closest thing to evidence that Christians have that god exists. The only problem is, as you say, this does not count as proof because it's self-referential.
  • The Bible is not one book. The Bible is a library of 73 books (for Catholics) written by many authors over many centuries. We believe that these authors were inspired by God. With this as background, we can say that Bible predictions made in early books that have been fulfilled in later books and/or proven in nonbiblical sources are proofs that God exists. On the other hand, if one wishes to refuse that God exists then nothing can really convince him or her. With love in Christ.
  • This is the best question I've read in a while, I wish I had more points at my disposal because that's a fantastic and hilarious point. To be fair, though, the Bible is really all they have. It sounds way better to say "It's true, I read it in a book, so there!" than to say "Just because, okay?!"
  • First of all, the Bible is backed historically. There are a number of sources that confirm the facts of the Bible are true. The Jewish historian Flavius Josephus who wrote about 100 A.D. confirmed the life of Jesus. The Talmud (Jewish historical document that is extremely biased against Jesus) states: "we learn that Jesus was conceived out of wedlock, gathered disciples, made blasphemous claims about himself, and worked miracles, but these miracles are attributed to sorcery and not to God." The simple fact that Christianity lasted for all these centuries in spite of the extreme persecution it has dealt with should also be proof. All of the Apostles (except John) were martyred. Many of the early Christians also were martyred, look at the way the Romans fed them to the lions and pitted them with gladiators for their faith. Would you DIE for something that was questionable in your heart. Their deaths are recorded by a number of historical sources. Archaeology has yet to prove the Bible wrong about any of its information. The life of King Solomon, Pilate, and others as well as cities, and events have all been confirmed by Archaeological finds. Science is still out to lunch in proving the Bible wrong, though argued against for the last 100 years, Darwinian theory is still exactly that theory. No missing link has been found and for that matter, where is the missing link today? Why don't we see men coming from monkeys today, if evolution was true men would still be forming from monkeys. There are a number of arguments scientifically against evolution that don't even mention the Bible but that is another subject all together. Scientists themselves are at a point of moral dilemma over the teaching of evolution. “If living matter is not, then, caused by the interplay of atoms, natural forces and radiation, how has it come into being? There is another theory, now quite out of favor, which is based upon the ideas of Lamarck: that if an organism needs an improvement it will develop it, and transmit it to its progeny. I think, however, that we must go further than this and admit that the only acceptable explanation is creation. I know this is an anathema to physicists, as indeed it is to me, but we must not reject a theory that we do not like if the experimental evidence supports it.” Dr. H.S. Lipson F.R.S. Professor of Physics, Univ. of Manchester, UK, ‘A Physicist Looks at Evolution’, Physics Bulletin, 1980, vol. 31, p. 138. As to the fact that there is a God, that is evidenced in the very world around you. What are the odds of the things around us forming without Divine aid? The probability of evolution occurring is extremely low mathematically speaking. “Now imagine 10 to the fiftieth power blind persons [that’s 100,000 billion billion billion billion billion people-standing shoulder to shoulder, they would more than fill our entire planetary system] each with a scrambled Rubik cube and try to conceive of the chance of them all simultaneously arriving at the solved form. You then have the chance of arriving by random shuffling [random variation] of just one of the many biopolymers on which life depends. The notion that not only the biopolymers but the operating program of a living cell could be arrived at by chance in a primordial soup here on Earth is evidently nonsense of a high order.” Sir Fred Hoyle Professor of Astronomy at Cambridge University. If this isn't enough, there is plenty more out there, but you probably won't hear the facts anyway. The problem I have found is not the lack of facts, but the lack of willingness to receive the facts. If men believe the facts, then they are forced to make a choice about their sinfulness, because God condemns their sins. People don't want a God if He requires them to be saved and to live for Him. Instead we would rather, not believe in God and chance Him not being there to judge our sin. The problem here is that if you don't believe, it doesn't change the fact. If I don't believe in Mac trucks, doesn't change the fact it will run me over if I stand in the middle of the street. Even if you don't believe in God, you will still be held accountable to Him.
  • Whatever happened to "Faith", or at least the concept of it? "Faith" is believing in things not yet seen and allows one a fuller dimensional existence over living in a world where one believes only what can be irrefutably proved or disproved. Isn't is rather egocentric to deny everything that cannot, or has not, been concretely proved/disproved? Rather than simply accept or deny God's existence based solely on the Bible, take a look around you; you'll see that the Evolutionists as well as other scientists are discovering more concrete similarities in the Bible than ever before.
  • What does it matter to you if they choose to beleive in a god? Does it threaten you? Many people beleive in all kinds of things that are not backed up by proof.
  • People may say that the Bible is proof (and i agree)be cause the information that it contains. like the very fisrt statement... Gen 1:1 1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. (KJV) Man has proven that our planet had a beginning. our earth is spinning by what force? As the Bible says it man has proven that Life came in the same order. Can Something so orderly come by chance, and yet the order never change? Do research on life, and you'll find out that somthing had to start everything that exist came from the one that always existed. for help adl502@aol.com
  • There doesn't have to be proof in the Bible... The proof is found every day in the Excavations of the Egyptian pyramids... The oldest texts found are Egyptian and refer directly to the walk, purpose, teachings and life of Christ.
  • Well wasn't Harry Potter based on or inspired by actual witchcraft?
  • The Bible is presumed to be correct and are a collection of stories by witnesses. It is not always correct and everyone have different interpretations of it. What proof do you have that Christ exists? What proof is there besides the Bible (which are evidence written by witnesses themselves)?
  • Tell me God's Name, and I will be more inclined to believe there is a GOD. We get the word God from the Greek word, Theo. as in theology. The study of god. The fact that God is nameless makes me think that Christianity is FAKE. Jesus is Greek. and Christ is Greek. Therefore. Jesus Christ is just another one of the Greek Gods. And we know that the Greeks had many Gods. People will say Jehovah, Adonai and Yahweh are God's name. Then why even say the word God? No one says, Jehovah Loves You. Its always God God God. It is so wrong. and so FAKE!
  • magic doesnt exist then???
  • It's Christian circular logic. It goes something like this: I know god exists because the Buybull says so and the Buybull is true because it's the word of god. And you're supposed to drop your jaw, open your eyes wide, look stupid and go: "Wow! You're right, I never thought of it that way..."
  • The Bible is the proof. Over 2000 prophesies have been accomplished - correctly-. There are about 500 left to be happen. Out of the 2000, Jesus accomplished around 300. My 2 cents.
  • Wait a mo. Are you saying there aint no such thing as magic? Yeah, right, next thing I know you're gonna claim Big Foot is just a figment. And I KNOW Fig-mints exist , I just et one.
  • I don't know anything about harry potter and magic but I do know about God. God exists in the heart and soul of those who know him. If you know him, you know he exists. It is belief that there is this spirit within you. Some people call that something other than God, though the name is not what is important. The importance is that you know it and accept it.
  • They choose to beleive that shit. It's that simple. They put faith in a stupid book.
  • Hmmmm....I give you +5 for the logic of your statement. But the Bible isn't PROOF that God exists, and most Christians I know don't claim it as such. It is, however, put forth as containing EVIDENCE of God's existance, which is quite another thing altogether. One only believes in the existance of God as a personal act of faith, which is defined as belief in the absence of proof. Even Jesus acknowledged faith in the Bible. I suppose that there are others out there who insist on using the word "proof" in association with the Bible, though.
  • While I don’t entirely agree with your analogy, you’re totally right: the Bible doesn’t prove God exists any more than any other book proves He does or doesn’t exist. The Bible helps me know more about Him, but using circular logic as a supposed “proof” is just plain ignorant.
  • I agree, and that very belief has spawned more debates than politicians have opinions. Consider this. There is evil in this world. There is also good. There is a standard/rule/law to determine one from the other. A law needs to be enforced by an authority, and there is no greater authority to enforce it than God.
  • http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v22/i1/creation.asp
  • uh. well. any holy book itself isn't proof that God exists. i don't care which religion you refer to. maybe it's what's in it what it does to you personally what your personal logic is personal experience witness miracles . not everybody's going to believe in God and not everybody's going to believe in God the same way
  • Actually, it's more like saying Harry Potter books are proof that J.K. Rowling exists (and whoever was her ghostwriter for the last two books). But be that as it may ... What you have to understand is that believers actually encounter God through the text, and it quickly becomes like reading a love letter written just to you, and also reading amazing poetry with your beloved English professor standing over your shoulder discussing it with you and opening up its full meaning to you, and you to it. So for us, the Bible (or rather our experience with it) proves God's existance. Now, someone who expects that to convince or persuade someone who doesn't have that experience is like a music-lover trying to convey the beauty of a Mozart concerto to a tone-deaf rhinocerous. The rhino's just being a rhino, but the music-lover's being stupid.
  • Mmmmm because it was written by man. Someone who needed a purpose in life and choose to make an entity in which to believe in. It explains simple every day things to some peoples way of thinking. It doesnt explain life, science proves so differently unless days are different to god and if so DAMN! Either way, there is truth to all fiction, and dont believe everything you read. You will get told about all these different things, scriptures, yada yada ya..... the question is... what do you believe??????
  • God cannot be proven by physical or scientific means. Christians will almost always say that the Bible is proof that God exists because they take it by faith, just as I, a Christian, do. Can I prove beyond my faith that God exists? no I cannot nor will I even attempt to do so. I use to try but gave that up some time ago. The reason why I gave up trying to prove God's existence is because it's not my job to do so. I am commissioned by Jesus Christ to preach the Gospel to the lost not to prove God. That is a burden of proof that is not mine to carry.
  • Great analogy! I think both books are proof that people want the supernatural (whether it's God or magic) to exist. Christians are told they will go to hell if they don't believe, so they're scared to question their belief system. Also, in one of the books of Timothy, Paul claims that the Bible is authentic, and a lot of Christians think that this counts as evidence, even though if we found a piece of paper signed with DaVinci's name, we wouldn't know for sure if it is him. Christians have to disregard logic in order to make their belief system work.
  • The Talmud is not just "a Jewish historical document." It's a compendium of Jewish law (Mishnah) and discussions of law, ethics, philosophy, history, etc. And it isn't biased against Jesus. Much of it was written long before him.
  • What? Again? This is the 505th time this subject has been addressed: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1T4GGLR_en&q=site%3A+Answerbag.com%2Bgod%2Bevolution%2Bevidence&btnG=Search
  • You are living and you are in the form of God. That's God's form you have. Every next breath you take is a gift from God. Whether you use that breath to praise Him or blaspheme Him with it. God is a being more intelligent than anything else. He doesn't have to do parlor tricks or appear in a puff of smoke to prove Himself to worms like us. God doesn't reveal Himself to the hardened heart.
  • The Bible says that magic DOES exist...it is part of Satan's system... (Exodus 7:11) However, Phar′aoh also called for the wise men and the sorcerers; and the magic-practicing priests of Egypt themselves also proceeded to do the same thing with their magic arts.
  • The Bible says that magic DOES exist... (Exodus 7:11) However, Phar′aoh also called for the wise men and the sorcerers; and the magic-practicing priests of Egypt themselves also proceeded to do the same thing with their magic arts. MAGIC PRACTICING PRIESTS... (Leviticus 19:26) “‘YOU must eat nothing along with blood. “‘YOU must not look for omens, and YOU must not practice magic. (Deuteronomy 18:10) There should not be found in you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, anyone who employs divination, a practicer of magic or anyone who looks for omens or a sorcerer, (Deuteronomy 18:14) “For these nations whom you are dispossessing used to listen to those practicing magic and to those who divine; but as for you, Jehovah your God has not given you anything like this. (2 Kings 21:6) And he made his own son pass through the fire, and he practiced magic and looked for omens and made spirit mediums and professional foretellers of events. He did on a large scale what was bad in Jehovah’s eyes, to offend him. (2 Chronicles 33:6) And he himself made his own sons pass through the fire in the valley of the son of Hin′nom, and practiced magic and used divination and practiced sorcery and made spiritistic mediums and professional foretellers of events. He did on a grand scale what was bad in the eyes of Jehovah, to offen (Isaiah 2:6) For you have forsaken your people, the house of Jacob. For they have become full of what is from the East, and they are practicers of magic like the Phi·lis′tines, and with the children of foreigners they abound. There are another dozen scriptures all saying the same thing...Magic is not acceptable to Jehovah God...If it did not exist, would He bother to warn us about it?
  • I would like to point out that I am not condemning the choosen 'god' based religions. I mearly pointing out something that has been a continuous part of my life. Every time I ask a question I am referred to the 'good' book. I am sorry but that doesn't mean anything to me. Refer me to the fact that I woke up this morning. Try a different approach. I have a chosen faith and does not follow christianity or god in the sense of christianity at all, but my chosen faith does tell me that i am not to condemn others who do not understand... but christians and people of a 'godly' faith do condemn outside religions. If i am not mistaken you are not supposed to condemn anyone... therefore when you do you are going against god... Sooo be nicer to people who don't believe the same as you. Its a personaly choice and WE are NOT you! YOU cannot SAVE us by means of GOD! In fact doing things such as persecution just reiterates into us more the fact that christianity is cruel and violent and not to be trusted. Now you may rip me to peices with your 'good' book warnings and your personal hatred against people who speak against what you believe. Oh and you won't change me.
  • We know that Harry Potter is fiction - ask anyone. JK Rowling never purports to say "this is all true". If you know that the Bible is fiction, then clearly you know that God does not exist. If the Bible is fiction, then another comparison may be fictional books based on truth, where truth and fiction are mixed together, and then the author purports the book to be true. Unfortunately the Bible's authors are all dead, and so we cannot ask them whether the words they wrote are fiction or true. So we have to decide for ourselves, unless we are prepared to find out if Paul, John, Matthew, Mark, Luke, Isaiah, Pilate, Jesus, Joseph, Mary, and many others existed or not rather than fictional characters. Good luck in your quest.