• Semantics. Life is divinely given and should only be taken by God, in HIS time. Otherwise you are telling HIM HE'S WRONG. If you don't believe me talk to your religious adviser, pastor, bishop, etc. SUICIDE IS MURDER. Look up murder in your topical guide of your bible and see what it says.
  • Voluntary euthanasia is a form of suicide, just like an elephant is a type of animal. I think that suicide is terrible in that the family has to deal with the aftermath.
    • Creamcrackered
      what if someone has dementia, and has seen a family member go through dementia, and doesn't want to put their own family through that or turn into that? Or what if someone is a quadriplegic after a motorbike or horse-riding accident, and cannot bear to live life like that or be a burden on their family? I think it's an interesting topic and not as clear cut as people would like to think.
      Love grows through service to others. Would you have those thoughts about raising a baby? Of course not! You'd only see the happiness that comes from those precious loving memories! I was blessed to be able to bathe my mother when she had her surgery to put her chemo port in. I treasure that memory! Being able to care for her even in such a little way blessed me beyond measure and was just a small portion of what I would have been willing to do for her because of what she did for me!! I wish I had 10 more years of service with her, caring for her! It makes people feel good to give to others! Its not a burden. But if you have no one to care for you, or if they need help there are programs and help available. Even in a nursing home they will be providing some people with jobs so they can support their families! Service grows love and empathy. Would you want to deprive those who love you of the opportunity to grow as individuals?
    • bostjan64
      "what if someone has dementia, and has seen a family member go through dementia, and doesn't want to put their own family through that or turn into that?" Once the dementia is bad enough, they won't remember all of that anyway. "Or what if someone is a quadriplegic after a motorbike or horse-riding accident, and cannot bear to live life like that or be a burden on their family?" Stephen Hawking was quadriplegic most of his life. Are you suggesting that he should have offed himself instead of living to become the greatest physicist of his time?! "I think it's an interesting topic and not as clear cut as people would like to think." Sure. It's a deep topic. It's worth taking time to understand why people want to die, and then to help them understand that they don't have to feel that way, and that there is always a better way. I don't think suicide should be criminalized the way it is - in fact, I don't think it's a matter of law at all, but a matter of personal responsibilities and what is best for society in general. If you had posed as an example, instead, a person who had taken another person's life and was subject to a natural life sentence in prison without possibility of parole, and they wanted to die, I'd have a hard time arguing that the person needs to continue to live his or her life, not that the person would not possibly be able to have any positive impact, but that the person very likely would not and is not conditioned to do so. It'd be a discussion. But to say that a person with a physical handicap should just go ahead and be euthanized, to me, is a disturbing and, frankly, disgusting idea.