• It is the "four letters"...YHWH... the NAME of almighty God...Jehovah. The term ' God' is his title...its not a name.
    • Anoname
      Correct.
    • pugwashjw65
      Thanks, Anoname...
  • Great Q - Pugwash got it right. Great Q though!
  • Don't be deceived. The Tetragrammaton is based on the four letters YHWH for LORD in all capital letters. It means Adonai in Hebrew. The word Jehovah is a Pagan name that was invented by a Spanish Catholic monk named Raymundo Martini. Do a research. In Hebrew there are no vowels.
    • Jewels Vern
      Ok, so YHVH means Adonai, but there are no vowels, so it has to mean DN ... Did I miss something there? I think the Yahoo story makes a lot more sense.
    • Jenny_Rizzo
      It's YHWH as in Yahweh. There is no such thing as YHVH.
    • pugwashjw65
      YHWH does not translate as LORD.
    • Jenny_Rizzo
      pugwashjv, to you being a Jehovah's Witness it doesn't. I'm sure you want to support your doctrine, but Adonai is the Hebrew name of God.
      The name of the Lord God was only spoken by the Priests and never written. The four letters YUD HEY VAV HEY are usually not spoken in Hebrew as they are read, but instead the name Adonai ("the Lord") is used. The singular Adon is used in the Hebrew Bible in reference to many "lord/master" figures such as the Pharoah of Egypt, surely as far from the Lord God as you will find there.
    • Jenny_Rizzo
      It doesn't get any clearer how God is defined: Psalm 110:1 The LORD says to my Lord, "Sit at my right hand, until I make your enemies my footstool." The word Lord for Adoni is the plural of Adon. Both LORD and Lord are the same word.
      Thank you mushroom! Thank you all for your views and opinions!
    • pugwashjw65
      Jenny...it is faulty translation that ends with.." my Lord said to my LORD...It is much clearer when it is translated My Lord [Jesus] said to my LORD [ Jehovah]
    • Jenny_Rizzo
      pugwashjv, you have no idea what you're saying. Quote: "It is much clearer when it is translated My Lord [Jesus] said to my LORD" By your claims, since Jesus tells the LORD to sit at His right hand, then Jesus is calling the shots. Therefore, Jesus is God.
    • Jenny_Rizzo
      BTW pug, everybody in these comments can clearly see that you messed up. LOL
    • Butterflies67
      Adonai translate as Lord. But Lord is a title not a name. Agreed there are no vowels in Hebrew but the name Jehovah is commonly used.
    • Jenny_Rizzo
      Butterflies, nobody in this thread said the Lord is God's name. Quote: "but the name Jehovah is commonly used." Commonly used by who?
  • The oldest Hebrew manuscripts present the name in the form of four consonants, commonly called the Tetragrammaton (from Greek te•tra-, meaning “four,” and gramʹma, “letter”). These four letters (written from right to left) are יהוה and may be transliterated into English as YHWH (or, JHVH).
  • Its the " Four Letters"...YHWH...the name of almighty God. Also put as Yahweh,,,which translates to Jehovah... The term " God/god" is a title not a name. In Islam, Allah means "God" in Arabic...but its still just a title... Muslims wrongly consider Allah to be a NAME.
  • The "four letter" name of God. In Hebrew, one of the ways of writing about God is to refer to him by this four letter combination (though God has many names -- not personal names, but references to different aspects of his character; the 4 letter name refers to his trait of mercy). The letters are often transferred into English characters as "yhvh" however this presents a host of problems. Not only are we not sure of the exact ancient pronunciation of the Hebrew letter vav (like a V or a W or something in between the 2) but Hebrew, to be pronounced, requires both letters and vowel points (which were not written in scribal texts, but handed down via a chain of oral transmission until codified by (IIRC) the Masoretes). The 4 letters, themselves, cannot be pronounced because we do not have the vowel points. The actual pronunciation is something that was lost to most communities over the years because it was sacred and not widely disseminated after the destruction of the second temple 2000 years ago. I have heard that the Yemenite Jewish community has a tradition as to the actual pronunciation. Attempts to create a pronunciation like Jehova or Yahweh stem from the attempt to import vowel points from the Hebrew word "Ado-nai" (my master) which is used in prayer instead of the 4 letter name.
  • Oh. I thought we were referring to the Tetragammaton from "Equilibrium."
  • 9-28-2017 I used to think it was a swear word invented specifically for Tetris.
      Lol! I think this may be the most correct answer after seeing all the contention it stirred up.
  • There are hundreds of references in the Bible, naming God, King, Lord, Creator and many other descriptive terms, but in Gen. 3:14 "And God said unto Moses: 'I AM THAT I AM'; and He said: 'Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel: EH'YEH [I AM] hath sent me unto you.' " This is echoed in John 8:58: "Very truly I tell you, Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, I am!” Arguing over a descriptive or honorific is not relevant when God specified his name as I AM.
      Of course, "Popeye the Sailor" throws this whole thing off. Maybe the spinach was just an illusion like the burning bush?
  • It is Jehovah God's personal name in Hebrew...the four letters...ands it appears in scripture over 7,000 times...And Jehovah NEVER told us it was 'too' holy to use...