• This is the best way I've ever read by Kalil Gibran's "The Prophet" : http://www.katsandogz.com/onchildren.html On Children Kahlil Gibran Your children are not your children. They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself. They come through you but not from you, And though they are with you yet they belong not to you. You may give them your love but not your thoughts, For they have their own thoughts. You may house their bodies but not their souls, For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams. You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you. For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday. You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth. The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite, and He bends you with His might that His arrows may go swift and far. Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness; For even as He loves the arrow that flies, so He loves also the bow that is stable.
      Very nice! I like that!
  • 7-6-2017 Most people don't know any answer to that. They make up something that sounds emphatic and that is how they raise their kids.
  • Simple...LOVE them and care for them. Help them to know and love the Lord God and Jesus Christ.
  • I would see what actually interests them first then start to get them involved more into those subjects. Would even participate with them to help along the way. However not be a tough drill army officer if they decide to back out or they can't succeed. Need to give them space to find their way around then it all clicks in. My Parents never cared what became of me, however when I played ball had this one kid whose father just tormented the hell out of him and took away the fun and put on way to much pressure, not good and sad because if he made 1 mistake it was like the end of the world. Too much negative stroking going on and it brought him down big time.
      Sometimes the line between encouraging and demanding gets difficult to see. Many times I thought I was being encouraging when others thought I was impatient and demanding. But I agree some parents can be downright abusive about such things. The only thing my mother asked of me was to finish High School. And I think if she hadn't I might not have. But I'm also certain that if she had encouraged more of me I would have achieved more.
  • A good education mostly!