• I thought there would be more of us represented here. Did the question scroll too quickly? Was it missed?
  • Found your insomnia Q. Sleeping Commando helps in a cool room with a cozy comforter. It takes me 2 hours to fall asleep so I'm not the best one to give advice there. It takes that long, probably, because I have so much control over my dreams. That requires my brain be slightly more aware of my surroundings than most people. Then I also have a medical issue with my ear that sometimes keeps me awake even longer or wakes me after I do fall asleep. I've used sleeping pills from time to time. Benadryl makes me sleepy and helps me get to sleep faster sometimes.
      I posted the link on the other comment only to find you had already found it! Oh well, it was another learning experience! Thank you! I've heard benadryl will help you get to sleep, but not stay asleep, trazodone didn't help me go to sleep but made me want to sleep half the next day, and the ambien type sleep meds were excellent! I was on them for several years before a Dr told me that if my CPAP machine ever quit working for any reason while taking them I probably would never wake back up! Yikes! That scared me enough to stop taking them.
      I tried the counting thing one time and kept getting distracted. First I had to modify the area to trace because I couldn't follow the frame of the door so I moved it to a different object to trace around then like I said I kept getting distracted and couldn't get past 5 and then I finally made it to 17 and realized I was hungry so I got up and got something to eat. I can see this is going to take a lot of practice anyway I hope you get to feeling better and get your ear fixed and get some good sleep.
    • Anoname
      My mother was using a CPAP for the last year of her life. I would never have suggested sleeping pills had I known that. I agree with the doctor that it would be dangerous. You seem to be taking aquireing dream skills seriously. You've got the right idea. It doesn't have to be a door you follow with your eyes. I do suggest something with a squareish shape so you don't lose track. A picture frame or any object you can make out the shape of in a darkened room. That is the first and the hardest trick to learning to control your dreams. As I said that one took me a year. Since your really trying here's another trick: If you don't like the direction your dream is taking imagine a giant red X over the vision of your dream as soon as you begin not liking it. Then recall the part of the dream that was just before that scene. Keep imagining X's over the dream segments as you back it up to a point where the dream was still likeable. Then allow the dream to go forward again. The first few times you try this you might wake up but you'll quickly master this trick. After a few months you won't have to imagine red X's any more. You'll be able to go right to the point of the dream you still liked.
  • sometimes but i take stuff like benadryl cause of allergies and it puts me to sleep
  • sometimes but i have allergies and take benadryl when i go to sleep so that gets me sleeping enough to sleep plus i take melatonin too