• (Matthew 25:40) In reply the King will say to them,
  • Leviticus 19:18 ? "18 ¶ Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the Lord."
    • Anoname
      This was a Q I had asked on the old AB years ago. Good guess, but incorrect. Try again.
      This is the first I recalled seeing it. Someone probably dug it out of the categories.
      It's not incorrect! It may not be the particular verse you're looking for but this verse does work it is correct. I nailed it and if you disagree, prove it!
    • Anoname
      I don't mean a matching of words but which verse was considered by the Rabbi's before the New Testament to be the golden rule. You nailed it in one sense but not historically.
      If you mean the Book of Tobias or the Wisdom of Sirach, they are based on the earlier Leviticus passages. Leviticus contains the rules of ritual and law. In any event, those two references make the prohibitive (passive) command: Do to no one what you yourself dislike.
      Told you! :-p
    • Anoname
      Incorrect also Mushroom. It's not Apocraphal nor gnostic. One of the regular Old Testament books. You're still making the error that the OT Golden Rule is of the same thought as the NT version. It's not the same wordage. It's a philosophy they held the most precious.
      Whatever I'm done here I already answered your question I'm tired of this.
    • Anoname
      Don't let the door hit you on the way out. But y'all come on back now, 'ya hear.
  • *** (Leviticus 19:18, 34) 18 
    • Anoname
      I understand why this was your guess but it's not the verse I'm asking for.
  • (Matthew 7:12)
    • Anoname
      Old Testament - Before there was a New - before there was a book of Matthew.
  • CORRECT ANSWER IS:.......(Drumroll).............Micah 6:8 - ...do justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with thy God............This is what was considered to be the rule to live by before Jesus.
  • When Jesus walked the earth, he always referred to the Hebrew scriptures (OT) because at that time, that was the law the Nation of Israel was given and were to obey. Jesus reiterated the law when he said that the whole law hung upon two commandments, to love God and to love one's neighbour. This is known as the Kingly Law and rightly has prominence and importance among other laws governing human relationships.
  • The Golden Rule is the ultimate, all-encompassing rule of morality. Leviticus 19:34 "You shall treat the stranger who sojourns with you as the native among you, and you shall love him as yourself, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt: I Am the LORD your God." Matthew 7:12 "“So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets."