• They're just hypocrits
  • do you think most doctors really have a desire to better humanity or are they in it to better their standard of living? do you think actors really believe in their trade or do they act for the fame and fortune? do motivational speakers ever want to give up? do vegetarians ever cheat and eat/wear/use animal by products? has a non-believer cried out for God when their life is in danger? does hugh hefner sleep with three women at a time and yet refuse to 'dishonor his wedding vows' by divorcing his wife? it seems there's no limit to hypocrites and fakers all around
  • Yeah, I'm sure all the jihad and crusades and all the dying for their beliefs and stuff like that in the world is just people pretending.
  • From what I can see, many of today's regular or frequent churchgoers are there because it helps them fit into their neighborhood and assume a useful patina of righteousness.
  • I didn't feel sh*t. So I pretended and after that, I just stopped altogether.
  • I believe there are many people with real faith who are not part of organized religion. Most of the "religious" people I know use the church as a place to socialize.
  • If it wasn't pretend, then they wouldn't get so huffy about folks asking such salient questions. If their faith was strong, then we wouldn't be able to "persecute" them, now would we?
  • Another great question my friend. Tell ya what I think..those who openly tell you how religious they are and simultaneously are unkind, judgmental and critical of others are phonies. They don't have a clue because they are worse than Atheists..they band together under the cloak of God and Jesus and sometimes vilify those with whom they don't agree, saying that is what God or Jesus wants. What baloney. So..if you are kind, useful, helpful, non-judgmental and treat everyone with grace, dignity, respect and you happen to be religious, I believe you are because you live what you believe. Otherwise, you're a scam artist and I pay no attention to you at all! Happy Tuesday kdp! :) ((hugs))
  • Many people have real faith. They not only feel better after praying; things go better after praying. They live out their lives being very good people. You can see their soul in their faces. Faith and belief are why voodoo works for those who believe in it. True believers in voodoo will get sick and die when they have been cursed. (Voodoo, by the way, is a religion. Voodoo practitioners are fervent believers.)There are also those many people that you know who attend church regularly, participate in all church activities, put on a big show, then cut you off and flip you off on the way out of the parking lot. I don't think you can stereotype religious people any more than you can stereotype atheists.
  • More like the last part. Most people go through the day trying to fit in with everyone else so they won't be hated or despised. They want to feel like they belong to a bigger and better purpose, I suppose.
  • Not most but I do believe that some people just don't really get it. They use it as an excuse to feel like they are better than others I think. Or it just makes them feel like good people to go to a church. If they were really religious they would realize that going to a church has nothing to do with how good of a person you are.
  • Can't answer for others (I do wonder sometimes myself, especially in regards to the leaders (Ellen White, Joseph Smith, Charles Russell, Hubert Armstrong, Muhhammad, Paul "The Apostle", etc.) BUT I can say that during my stint with "religion" I definitely believed in what I followed and was a very serious christian compared to the majority out there. Now, thankfully I'm long done with religion and its nonsense!
  • religion is poison, just look at the infected and witness for yourselves.
  • I think that faith is such a broad term, but if you mean organized religion then yes. it is out of fear of the unknown, fear of disappointing ones family and peers, fear of change, fear of perhaps reality.
  • Try not believing in religion, its not that easy! Especially when your entire life, everyone around does / did. When your alone and scared, try not to believe, i did, its scary as shit, but once you dont believe, and truely dont believe, God will smile upon you and set you free. I never left God, i dont think he left me. I just left the man made BS.
  • I'm sad to say that most of the time you are right, but the reason why is that most of the "religious" folks don't really know God like He really can be known.
  • I believe most "religious" people WANT faith. But to HAVE faith may be their quest.
  • Faith is an elusive thing. I think most people 'of faith' sometimes have faith and sometimes have doubts and sometimes kind of coast. . There are probably people who don't really have faith so much as that it never occurs to them to doubt. . There are people who have faith all the time and are nearly consumed by it. . And there are opportunists who value what a church can give them. . Having said all that though, how can we differentiate between people who are pretending to themselves that they have faith and people who actually have faith? Is there a practical difference?
  • I definitely have faith, although it's not in any religion that I know of...why would I pretend that to myself?
  • It's all pretend self righteousness. They all assume everyone's a sinner so why not them as long as a few hours a week they can be a good kid and maybe sneak into heaven. It's all false nonsense and churches are the worse of them all. They raise vast sums of money to build huge cathedrals all over town and keep raking it in to self promote themselves. Now they build their houses to look like churches.. what self righteousness hooey is that? Oh look at me! I make more money than the Jones's and MY house looks like the "temple".. Well, I have to say if there really is a hell, which there isn't all these cathedral dwellers will certainly fry. It makes me almost hope it's real because i want to watch their faces when they decent down into hell with me.
  • I think the majority of people when questioned for census's and the like just write down a faith as an automatic response. It stops you getting bothered by those that do actually believe. I know when asked what denomination I was I always said christian even though I've never been to church and don't believe in god. Now I say atheist as I have realised that you can and it helps breakdown the fallacy that the church in the UK has a majority following. Which is very untrue these days.
  • i think it depends on the person, everyone is different